My review of Beneath the Stars by Miranda Lockhart might surprise you. As you all know, I am obsessed with this author. I would read her “To Do” list if she published it. I’ve been holding my breath waiting for her latest novel, but BTS makes me wish I would have passed out instead.
I pretty much devour everything this author writes, so it pains me to give Miranda Lockhart’s latest novel only 2 stars. I threw in the half star just because I can’t live without Miranda’s writing, and I didn’t want to be mean.
Why didn’t I like BTS?
Let’s just start by saying I am super skeptical of insta-love. I mean who falls in love after one eye-lock? When Greg and Linda lock eyes over a cup of coffee and instantly fall head-over-heels, it rang a lot of alarm bells for me. But, I kept reading. Why? Because this is Miranda Lockhart, of course. I knew it was going to get better.
A few chapters into the book, I began to wonder if someone was impersonating Ms. Lockhart. Maybe she left her laptop at Starbucks and someone else wrote BTS?
I could predict what was going to happen within the first 25 pages. If I had a dollar for every time I wanted to slap Linda, I could quit one of my jobs. If I had a dollar for every time I wanted to kick Greg in the balls, I could retire early.
- Great writing as usual from Lockhart
- Witty banter and crisp dialogue
- fun setting of Miami Beach
- Hot as hell sex scenes – I was fanning myself. NSFW!!
- Instant love- UGGHH! Gag!
- Formulaic- I’ve read this novel before, only the names are different.
- HATED Linda. I rolled my eyes every time she swooned over Greg even though he was a total bag of dicks.
- Greg was a total bag of dicks. He notched his bedpost and bragged about deflowering virgins. Gross.
Don’t waste your time or money on this book. Read one of Miranda Lockhart’s earlier works instead. I’m always up for a trip down memory lane and a re-read of Heaven on Earth is always worth it.
Miranda Lockhart- if you happen to be reading this review (which there is probably zero chance, but anyway it’s worth a shot), PLEASE get your laptop back from that dude at Starbucks and write another masterpiece like HOE. PLEASE!!
Love, Lacey Donovan